Installing metal roof over shingles is a popular option for homeowners looking to improve the energy efficiency and durability of their homes in Ohio.
Metal roofs are known for their longevity and resistance to weather. Although they cost more upfront, they can actually be more cost-effective in the long run compared to shingles.
In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of installing a metal roof over shingles, the different types of metal roofing options available, and the installation process. This way, you’ll be able to know why metal roofing is a great option for your home too!
Benefits of installing metal roof over shingles:
Installing a metal roof can provide several benefits for homeowners in Ohio, including:
- Energy efficiency. Metal roofs are known for their ability to reflect sunlight, which can help to keep your home cooler in the summer, reducing your energy costs.
- Durability. Metal roofs are extremely durable and can last for up to 50 years, which is much longer than the typical lifespan of an asphalt shingle roof.
- Weather resistance. Metal roofs are resistant to strong winds, heavy rain, and even snow, making them ideal for the harsh weather conditions in Ohio.
- Low maintenance. Metal roofs require little maintenance, which means that you won’t have to worry about repairs or replacements as often as you would with other types of roofing materials.
Types of metal roofing options
There are several types of metal roofing options available for homeowners looking to install metal roof over shingles in Ohio. Some of the most popular options include:
- Steel. Steel metal roofing is one of the most popular options and is available in several different styles and colors.
- Aluminum. Aluminum is another popular option. It is lightweight and corrosion-resistant, making it well-suited for the Ohio climate.
- Copper. This metal roofing material may be a more expensive option, but it’s known for its durability and resistance to weathering.
Installing metal roof over shingles requires a certain skill set and technical knowledge, which is why it’s recommended to hire a professional to do the job. But to give you an idea of how the process goes, here is an overview of the steps involved:
- Preparing the surface
The first step is to prepare the surface of the existing shingle roof by removing any debris or obstacles that might be in the way.
- Installing a moisture barrier
A moisture barrier is then installed over the shingles to prevent any water from seeping into the home.
- Installing the metal roof
The metal roof panels are then installed over the moisture barrier, and they are secured with fasteners. Your roofing contractor will be able to recommend the best type of fasteners for the roof.
- Finishing the roof
Once the metal roof panels are installed, the roofing contractor will install any trim, flashing, and accessories, such as skylights or vents, to ensure a complete and watertight installation.
It’s important to note that there are certain requirements that have to be met for such type of installation and it’s crucial to have the proper inspection, permits, and approvals by the local building codes and regulations before proceeding.
Additionally, it’s essential to make sure that the roof decking is in good condition and can support the additional weight of the metal roof.
Arnold Roofing specializes in metal roofing in Ohio!
If it’s time for installing metal roof over shingles, you can trust us to get the job done right. Our team of experts is trained and certified, and can provide you with the results you’re looking for. We’ll treat your property as if it were our own. Contact us today to get started!