Preventive roof maintenance is essential for ensuring that your roof is in good condition and performs well for many years. This is especially true in Ohio due to the harsh weather conditions in the state.
By performing regular maintenance, you can identify and address potential issues before they become serious problems and you can extend the lifespan of your roof.
So in this blog post, we’ll explore the importance of preventive maintenance on your roof in Ohio, what to look for during a maintenance checkup, and how often you should do so.
Why is roof preventive maintenance important?
Preventive maintenance on your roof is important for several reasons. Here are some of them:
- Helps identify and address potential issues before they become serious problems. For example, during a maintenance checkup, a professional can spot missing or damaged shingles, leaks, or other problems that could lead to water damage or other issues.
- Helps to extend the lifespan of the roof by identifying and addressing problems early. Roofs are not invincible, no matter how durable they may be. So if you want to maximize its longevity, you need to have all issues addressed as soon as possible.
- Help you identify any issues that may void your roof’s warranty, so you can address them before the warranty expires. This can save you thousands of dollars!
What to look for during a maintenance checkup?
During a preventive roof maintenance checkup, a professional roofing contractor will look for a variety of potential issues. This may include
- Inspecting the exterior of your roof to check for any visible signs of damage such as missing or broken shingles, curling or buckling shingles, or moss or algae growth;
- Checking the flashing around chimneys, vents, and other penetrations to make sure it’s properly installed and no leaks are present;
- Examining your attic to check for any signs of water damage, leaks, or other issues. This includes looking for any water stains on the ceiling, any mold or mildew growth, and checking the insulation to ensure that it is in good condition;
- Checking the ventilation to make sure there is enough airflow in your attic to avoid any moisture buildup, which can lead to mold and mildew growth;
- Assessing the structure of your roof to make sure it is in good condition. This includes looking for any sagging or uneven rooflines, which can indicate structural damage;
- Inspecting the roof decking to ensure that it is in good condition, and examining the eaves, rakes, and other structural components to make sure they are properly secured; and
- Checking the gutter system and ensure they are not clogged with any debris such as leaves, twigs, bird’s nests, or even small animals.
How often should you schedule a professional roof maintenance checkup?
In Ohio, it’s recommended to schedule a professional preventive roof maintenance checkup at least once a year. The weather conditions in the state can be harsh, with warm summers and cold winters.
These conditions can take a toll on a roof, so it is important to schedule regular maintenance checkups to ensure it is in good condition all year round and will be able to withstand whatever mother nature throws at it.
However, if your roof is already approaching or exceeding its expected lifespan, it’s important to schedule more frequent maintenance checkups. This is because older roofs tend to be more vulnerable to damage.
In addition, if you also notice any signs of damage or deterioration, you should schedule a maintenance checkup as soon as possible.
In need of preventive roof maintenance in Ohio?
Choose Arnold Roofing! We are the best roofing contractor in Ohio that can help with all your roof maintenance needs. We promise that our services will save you bundles of money in the long run. We’ll also ensure your roof will always perform well and last for a very long time. Contact us today to get started!